BASS LAKE ASSOCIATION
SPECIAL NOTE: References to the water sampling programme with the Muskoka Lakes Association (MLA) do not apply for this Summer 2020 season while we are in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Bass Lake Association is active with respect to monitoring the quality of our lake. We currently have six test sites that provide a good snapshot of water conditions.
Our lake specific data is analyzed by the Muskoka Lakes Association (MLA) and a full report is made available to all lakes, and their communities, each spring (following the sampling season).
The final report compares phosphorous levels in Bass Lake to other participating lakes in the Muskoka watershed and the results will be made available to all association members in the annual spring report.
Additional compethensive information and reporting about Water Quality
and maintaining Water Quality is now available at our newest webpage titled Understanding Water Quality on Bass Lake
New legislation came into effect on May 20th, 2021
- Bill 228: n Act to prohibit unencapsulated expanded or extruded polystyrene in floating docks, floating platforms and buoys
- While it does not apply retroactively, and it does not specify floater mats, the same issues and concerns apply.
Please inspect any 'items' you might have that have styrofoam in contact with the water and remove/replace if they show signs of degradation.
- Clean Water Action (CA) has en excellent primer detailing the negative environmental impacts of 'syrofoam litter'
Information about testing your individual drinking water supply - the water coming from your tap - can be found in the Public Health section of the Community Connections page here at the Bass Lake Assocation website.
Current Water Quality Conditions at Bass Lake
Please refer to the following with respect to water quality trends on Bass Lake.
- 2019 MLA Bass Lake Report - REVISED
- 2020 AGM Water Quality Interim Report - includes Spring Turnover sampling data
- Total Phosphorous, July 5, 2020 sampling data
Please refer also to these publications from the MLA
- MLA Newsbites - June 2020
- LINK here to access the full online edition.
- Note that the Bass Lake referred to is NOT our Bass Lake.
- Request made by BLA Executive to have this clarified.
- MLA Newsbites - July 2020
- Link here to access the full online edition.
- The final item in this edition of MLA News bites contains a clarification with respect to the Bass Lake identified in the previous edition (June 2020, above).
- This follows an exchange of emails with the MLA.
- Your BLA Executive sent them a note of thanks for making this clarification for the record.